Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I have a 2002 Trans Am with 500hp and I only drive it in the summer, what kind of oil and viscosity to use?

I would use mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30.I have a 2002 Trans Am with 500hp and I only drive it in the summer, what kind of oil and viscosity to use?
You need to find out if your oil is synthetic or not. With the year and make of your car I would assume it is synthetic. When you look at oil there are 2 number ie. 5W-30. The first number is the viscosity at a cold temp and the second number is the viscosity at working temp. If you just drive your car in the summer the viscosity of the oil will never really get that low because the heat will keep it more liquidy (viscous). So 5W-30 would be fine. In colder climates one should probably use 10W-30 because the oil stay a little more viscous allowing an easy start for the engine. Now with a 500hp engine you may need to pay more concern to the second number because its such a large engine. To find that out look at the car manual or search for it online. CheersI have a 2002 Trans Am with 500hp and I only drive it in the summer, what kind of oil and viscosity to use?
I would use whatever weight is recommended, probably 5W or 10W-30, although you might be able to up to 10W-40 without any issues especially since you only drive it in the heat of summer. You might be able to even use 20W-40.





I would definitely use a synthetic. With you only driving it in the summer you aren't going to put miles on it quickly at all. And with synthetic oil you don't have to change every 3,000 miles. You could probably drive it as far as you want and only need to change it once a year. (I drive a 1999 Chevy Express Van with a 305 V8 less than a full mile a day for my job and we use full synthetic and only change it once yearly and never have any problems.) The only factor for you is the oil sitting over your ';non-driving'; months. You could probably even get away with changing less than every summer if you wanted but I wouldn't just on principle.





The synthetic will hold up and provide you excellent engine protection. It won't break down hardly at all the way you will be driving your car.





I hope my answer helps you out!
You have a T/A with 500Hp?. You only drive it during summer? You don't know enough to know what kind of motor oil to use? Something is not adding up here! What do you know about cars?
The kind that makes oil prices pass 5 dollars a gallon.
I always use 20/50 GTX That stuff is great. won't brake down

No comments:

Post a Comment